Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Project for Hazel

I love riding my bike. I have been doing it for over twenty years. Back when DS #2 (who is now 20yrs old) was a baby, I bought this Burley Bike Trailer. They were top of the line back then and I can see why. It was used when I got it so I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it has definitely been used and it has been ignored or neglected for about a decade. It has even been left out in the element for quite a while too. The amazing thing is that when I resurrected it, I was surprised to find that it was still in pretty good shape. It was sun bleached, but the fabric was still in good condition as well as the frame. The only real problems were #1 the inner tube needed replacing and #2 the protective screen was so fragile that you could easily poke your finger through it. (something that I did a few times while just getting it out from the side of the house.)
I rode my bike to HD and purchased a roll of fiberglass screen, about $6.

I then measured and cut the required size, easily tore out the old screen....

 ...and sewed it into the original canvas-type cover.

 I forgot to take a before picture, but here is the after. DGD wanted to test it out in the Dark. I rode it around the block with her in it...all you could hear in the dark streets were the giggles of a four year old princess in her make-believe Cinderella Coach.
Now I plan to run many of my errands on bike to combat those rising gas prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment