Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Just Call Me the Bird Lady of the OC


Okay...so I don't know what it is, but it's getting kinda weird around here. Or maybe it's just spring and the environment is coming alive. Lots of pollen, insects and birds. All I do is sneeze. Anyway... yesterday, DD and Jack Jr. noticed a large blue colored bird beating up on a poor little starling. They scared the larger bird away and picked up the unconscious starling. It was still breathing but didn't look very good. It was bleeding from the back of it's head. I just told them to throw it in trash on top of the grass cuttings and leave the lid open. I had them do this so that if it died, I wouldn't have to deal with it, and if it got better, it would just fly out. Well, as time went by, we checked on it and found that it was now conscious, but it wasn't moving around. 
We threw the bird in here at first because we thought it was dying.
 So we decided to give it a chance at life and put together this box with pine shavings.

 DD reached in and retrieved the bird from the green can.

 We put it in the box and left it covered over night in the back patio. 

 I wasn't expecting this, but it was still alive in the morning.

 I called the wild animal rescue and release people, but they said that they don't accept starlings.

 I emailed them these pics and they said that it was still a young bird and that it would have to be hand fed and re-hydrated. They gave me some instructions.
(I also looked online)

 One of the instructions was to get a heating pad to put under the box. I covered it with a trash bag to protect it at I still use it and want to keep it clean.


 Here is the cooked yolk of an egg. I mixed it with some water and put it into a syringe.

Yum!
 She took a little of it... I will try again in a couple of hours.

I'm hoping that it will get better quickly so that I can release it. I don't have enough room for another pet bird.
Although we did give it a name.... Chance.  
Good luck Chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment